Mister Family.com ... keeping Northeast PA "family friendly.": Someone who knows

Mister Family.com ... keeping Northeast PA "family friendly."

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Someone who knows

Since last April when this website began, I have encouraged people of faith to be in prayer for the women who have become caught up in stripping and other forms of sexual entertainment. Many of you have been faithful to do so and I truly appreciate it.

From time to time, I have received e-mails from women who work at area strip clubs. They often express feelings of disgrace and despair. Many of them do not have strong families to lean on for support when they need it. Many of them feel stuck and are looking for a way out.

The other day, I received an e-mail from a woman who dances in a topless club in Southeast PA. I appreciated her insight and asked her permission to post the text of her e-mail, with the assurance that I would not reveal her name or location.

The full text of her e-mail is included below. Please be in prayer for her that things begin to turn around and she finds a job she can be proud of. I believe she would appreciate that.

I know there are other women who read this blog who can identify with her struggle. Please know that we are in prayer for you as well.

Mr Family

---

Mr. Family,

I have never been to any of the clubs in Wilkes Barre, but I am a stripper in a topless club in ______. I started earlier this year at 30 years old. I have a BS in Business Management and was an Internal Auditor for several years. I worked very hard for my education, working the night shift at the front desk at a local resort full time and going to college during the day. For a while I was doing ok. last year at this time I was doing very well in my professional career. Then due to market and other conditions, I was laid off in April. In the last couple years because of Sarbanes-Oxley legislation internal auditors were in high demand, so I wasn't too worried, and I did get a severance package when I was laid off so I thought everything would be fine.

Of course, by then the spike in demand for auditors was dropping. By now pretty much everyone has the hang of the Sarbanes reequirements and the bulk of the work is done. The doucmentation has to be updated every year, but it is no where near as much work as it was doing it for the first time. It is now January and I still don't have a job. I am starting to get some interest in my resume so I can hope for things to get better, but I am afraid to get my hopes up too, and I no longer have the confidence I used to have so I am afraid maybe I won't interview as well as I did before.

Either way, I live alone, have never been married and there is no safety net for me, and no other source of income to rely on. I have to survive one way or another. I feel as though my identity as a person is falling apart. I have become little more than a sex object and although most of the customers are polite and I am lucky enough to work for a club that does not promote "turning tricks" and is very strict about the rule I still am in the business of selling sex even though I worked hard to have a "real" career that I could be proud of.

I am depressed and cry a lot, I am much older than most of the other girls I work with and unfortunately much smarter. I am not taken in by the excuses they make and know full well how degrading it is to me and women in general to take my top off for money. I would love to stop, but I know of no other way to make enough money to cover my bills and living expenses. Minimum wage at Walmart simply would not cut it for me. Before I was laid off I was making 45k a year and I even have savings, which have long since disappered.

Lately, theree ar more girls than ever dancing and often there are more girls than customers so it is even more difficult to make money, forcing me to work more hours doing something I detest.

I don't think clubs are to blame though. I think society is to blame. If there were no demand, there would not be any clubs. The patrons are the ones that make clubs profitable and it is pathetic that a woman's sexual assets are more valuble than her brains, education, or work ethic. It is a male dominated society that causes these problems, not just club owners.

The whole thing makes me sick and I am tired of it. None of my male colleages have had the trouble getting a new job that I have. I always dressed very conservatively at the office, didn't wear much makeup and always wore my hair up. I was never looked at a sex object, however the women who showed a lot of cleavage and tight pants seemed to be treated better even in a professional setting. It just seems that whether the compensation is monetary or not women that flaunt themselves are compensated better.

Anyway, thanks for reading this rant even though there is nothing anyone can do to make it better. I hope you guys are able to make a difference for someone somehow because as long as women are treated this way and it is accepted in our society things will not get better.

Frustrated and hopeless,
_______

23 Comments:

  • And that right there is why I support what you're doing. Keep it up. This needs to be a forum where women who are being exploited can let people know what they really think.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM  

  • we will pray

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 AM  

  • she can get a job at wal mart maybe shell be happier

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

  • To the VERY intelligent lady, I say, first of all eliminate the frustration and hopelessness that you have. With that, you are automatically defeating yourself.

    Jobs in this area, this state are not good for anyone, especially when one has a degree. Most college graduates have to move out of the state to find a job compatible with their education. Consider moving to a state where your education would qualify you for a job.

    Since you are well-educated, you are quite able to consider re-directing your education towards other fields, rather than the exact one you were in. Losing a job that you worked so hard for is certainly depressing, but you must move on, and perhaps find something much better than you ever thought possible. The world is very wide and has a lot to offer. We can't stay focused or stagnant while there are so many more opportunities to experience.
    Perhaps you aren't giving yourself enough credit, and you depended too much on your former job to give you self-esteem. Self-esteem comes from within, from your own strengths and virtues that you need to discover, perhaps while you are going through this trial.

    If you are relgious, pray and be open to God's guidance with this rough spot you are in that is only temporary. You must eliminate all negativity in order to be open to Him speaking to you. Perhaps He is trying to show you a different path, not stripping, but you are not open to Him yet.

    If you are not religious, perhaps God is trying to come into your life, (maybe again). When things are at their worse, and the bottom keeps falling out, that is when you must keep looking up. Those times are when He is trying to bring you closer to Him in trust, and He will show you the way out.

    Speaking from experience.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM  

  • she seems to dispute some of the things said about strip club naely prostitution and strip club owners. She also made the point about walmart not cutting it for her. truth is millions of people some with kids do work for wlamart and other low paying jobs to amke ends meet and do not resort to stripping. she choose to go into that career. with the degee she has, it sounds that there is something more for her. h& r block etc need people this time of year for taxes. there are times my job made me cry too. but she can get out of it anytime she chooses, but she and others just do not realize that fact.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM  

  • in addition, I lost my family and home abruptly, no job, no money, no more friends (they were only fair-weather friends), and ended up living in a place that was worse than being homeless, like hell on earth, while I put myself through college and had a part-time job in a restaurant.
    I'm here to tell you that it can be done without stripping.
    I had no one, nothing. My only comfort was turning to God. In due time, seemed like forever, all wonderful and beautiful things happened.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:21 PM  

  • If the thought of strip clubs could get any more repulsive, it is with emails like this that are filled with pain and with the last survey about women. All the pro-club comments on this board together cannot even give one iota for justification of their existence. Strip clubs are nothing more than slime clubs to make the owners rich by trashing women for the pleasure of hormonal juvenile delinquents who never grew up into manhood.
    Women strippers, you don't need to lower yourselves into the gutters of their slime! You have dignity that can rise above that putrid slop!
    Don't you crazed "men" even think about defending your over sexed drive about strip clubs!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:49 PM  

  • I don't know if it's basically the same type of career, but if this woman reads this, is it possible for you to get a job with Edward Jones Financial Investors?
    We have an EJ rep., and he works alone in his own office like being his own boss, and he really loves his work.
    You are definitely in our prayers, and maybe you can keep in touch so that we know how you are coming along. We care, and there a lot of us who care more than you know.

    Thank you, Mr. Family, for having this website so that these hurt and depressed women have some place to turn where people really understand and really want to help them if only by responding in blogs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 PM  

  • "it is accepted in our society" that "women are treated this way" because too many people believe "there is nothing anyone can do to make it better". I refuse to accept that, which is why I continue to do whatever I can to "make a difference for someone somehow". Things will not get better until all of us who know better take responsibility for exploiting and dehumanizing one another in the name of "entertainment"! Sal Scalzo and his cronies be damned!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 PM  

  • The story is baloney. Complete bull. I'm single and earn $28,000 per year and have a house. I have no problems paying my bills and I keep saving money every month. It's called living within your means.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 AM  

  • Young lady, you have it all--youth, health, intelligence, compassion, the survival instinct, and morality. The problem seems to be that depression has set in and is further deepened by your present employment, where you are letting others take advantage of your vulnerable state.
    Your best ally in helping yourself is you with all of your fine assets. Get all of your crying out of the way and then start seeing yourself as a stronger person who has achieved so much and who can achieve a lot more. Life, my dear, is a series of hurdles. After passing over each hurdle, we become stronger, wiser, and develop an unsinkable character. Life is also a learning process. We continue to learn more about other people and about ourselves of which you are continuing to do. When you are being interviewed for a new job, take what you have learned and let it be an aid to you rather than a hindrance.
    One day, you will be able to look back and say: I survived depression, hopelessness, and the downside of life. Now, I am all the better for it.
    Best wishes to you. God bless you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:22 AM  

  • well club 10 did it....efo, their furniture store neighbor, has decided to relocate their business.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

  • Do you know that a stripper was killed from planet pocono over a drug deal.. That was never published just another dead stripper who cares right. She was shot in the back of the head died three days later. Never made public why?????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:29 PM  

  • It is sage advice to live within one's means and to forfeit unnecessary luxuries so as to be able to pay for the normal cost of living.
    However, it seems to be that the strippers get into a terrible cycle. They get used to a lot more money, begin feeling more worthless than they did before, and it makes it harder to get out of that rotten hole.
    The plan is to forget about the luxuries, just get out of those holes - do it - and your self-respect will be there waiting for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 AM  

  • Ya get out of the Valley. That is your only salvation. Also, spell check your resume. That might be the reason you cannot get a job. Mubarak!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:49 AM  

  • Some of these comments are an absolute shame. This woman pours her heart out and because some don't like what she had to say, they ridicule her.

    Speaks volumes about how they really feel about women, especially women in need.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:00 PM  

  • Ain't it the truth, 1pm. And the same shameful comments also speak greater volumes about the characters themselves with their despicable comments. They tell us a lot about themselves, including being ignorant and unsympathetic, when they have to pound on a person who is depressed and down-trodden. Very low of them indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 AM  

  • well hey, what else can you expect from some proclub bloggers who say people with morals and/or religious values should move to iraq. but if anybody is prepared to take up residence in the middle east to beat up on women,it would be them. they already consider the women here as sex objects and "meat."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • I hope that woman who wrote the e-mail is feeling supported with the positive comments and hope she responds to us feeling at least somewhat uplifted, since it was pointed out about how much good she has going for her and doesn't deserve that abuse.

    To the woman, be good to yourself and treat yourself kindly because too many people are cruel enough the way it is towards each other.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:25 PM  

  • to 156 pm- well in iraq women have little rights, they are property of the fathers and then their husbands who can marry many times.

    to 449 the woman is south eastern pa.

    Do the anti-clubbers believe EVERTHING MR Family says. Could not anyone email him and claim she/he is a stripper?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 AM  

  • To 8:48a, suppose that e-mail was from someone who fabricated it about herself or himself. The terrible facts it contained about strip clubs and women stripper's feelings are nevertheless consistent. It is then safe to say that much is believable. The sad part is you don't seem to want to believe strip club horror facts and that there are women in dilemmas who really do want to get out of the business, and that you do not have any compassion for them---which does not balance the scale for your thoughts of women in Iraq. Too many women are abused mentally, physically, and socially everywhere for a variety of unfair reasons.
    Iraq does not allow women to have rights. In the U.S., too many males treat women like lowlife objects in strip clubs, the work force, and sometimes in the homes. There is quite the parallel there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 AM  

  • 8.48 well you know the one good thing that can be said of mid east men is that they don't approve of women getting down and dirty for A LOUSY BUCK and splatter them all over publicly in the buff with get rich quick schemes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 AM  

  • Out of the caring comments addressed to or about the lady who poured out her heart in her email to Mr. Family, I wonder how many were from the pro-strip club people. My guess is none. If that doesn't speak volumes about the self-centered pro-club personalities, then I don't know what would, along with reiterating their irresponsible attitude towards 18-20 year old female amateur night contests and 18 year old high school student ID admission.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home