Mister Family.com ... keeping Northeast PA "family friendly.": Dreaming out loud

Mister Family.com ... keeping Northeast PA "family friendly."

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Dreaming out loud

A sincere note for the owner of Gentlemen's Club 10....

There are several things I have learned over the past week. First of all, this is a topic that clearly a lot of people on both sides of the issue feel passionately about. One side makes the case that it is legal to open a sexually oriented business in Wilkes-Barre Twp. The other side stresses that sexually oriented businesses damage communities in numerous ways. It seems to me that we are all firmly holding to our beliefs and apart from the intervention of God Himself, our beliefs will not be changing any time soon.

Secondly, I have come to believe that the owner of Gentlemen's Club 10, Sal Scalzo specifically, is a nice person. Everyone I speak to has kind words to say about Mr. Scalzo. People say that he is a family man and a very likeable person. I personally respect his ingenuity, persistence and business savvy. I mean this sincerely.

The media's focus on this story has been much more than any of us anticipated. I had no idea that less than a day after getting this website up and running that its contents would be on the front page of the Citizen's Voice, top story on WBRE, and the main topic of conversation on WILK. I wanted to draw attention to this issue, but yikes!

Many people are voicing their opinion on this matter. Large groups of people support the effort to expose the problems that sexually oriented businesses bring to a community. An equally large group support the idea of having a strip club located near the Wyoming Valley Mall. Is this an impasse? I don't know.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm curious to know if there is a way that we can help Mr. Scalzo turn Gentlemen's Club 10 into some other kind of business, .... something that will benefit the people of Luzerne County without stirring up so much controversy. I'm sure that Mr. Scalzo has invested a hearty portion of his personal wealth into this business. He has spent money to repair a building both inside and out. My heart breaks at the kind of business the building has become, but there must be some sort of solution here......a solution that allows Mr. Scalzo to turn his genuine business skill into something that will benefit him financially as well as benefit our community.

A restaurant?
A skating rink?
A medical office building?
A bank?
An arcade / family center?

Mr. Scalzo, I'm typing this with tears in my eyes. I promise you before God Himself, that if you will consider turning Gentlemen's Club 10 into a family friendly business, I will do EVERYTHING in my power to encourage the Luzerne County community to stand with you. You and I are not enemies. We are simply two men with equally strong beliefs, on different sides of the fence.

Please let me know if this is even a remote possibility. You are my brother, and since OUR county is watching us both, let's explore this possible solution. And if you are willing, please join us for prayer on Saturday. You will find a group of people eager to embrace you. Easter is the season for redemption. I want you to have a second chance. Lord knows that He has given me one and you deserve one too.

With love to my friend Sal,
Mr. Family

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home